Registration open through 3/17/2022 11:59 PM EST
205 seats currently available.
Culturally & Historically Responsive Education for Equity and Excellence: Introduction to the Theory & Model
In this foundational session, Dr. Gholdy Muhammad will clearly define culture, equity, antiracism, and culturally & historically responsive education. Together, culture will be explored and revisited in deep, multifaceted ways. We will consider our own cultural identities and approaches to learning the cultures/identities of students. By the end of this session, the educators will understand the culture and be charged to engage in self-identity work. The facilitator will also introduce educators to the model of culturally and historically responsive education. Educators will learn a brief history of CHRE and the power of education among communities of color in the United States. In addition, educators will be introduced to a four-layered equity model for teaching and learning that benefits all students: (1) identity, (2) skills, (3) intellectualism, and (4) criticality. Exemplar CHRE lesson and unit plans across the contents, and grade levels will be shown and discussed. The session will end with practical considerations for writing equitable lessons and unit plans.
There are three sessions to choose from for this event:
1. Administrators only session: 7:30 am - 8:15am, Cost for attending only this session is $50. (.75 SCECHs will be awarded).
2. Administrators session and full day event: 7:30 am - 3:30 pm. Cost for attending is $125.00 (includes lunch). (6.75 SCECHs will be awarded).
3. Session for all educators: 8:30 am - 3:30 pm. Cost for attending is $125 (includes lunch). (6 SCECHs will be awarded).
Dr. Gholdy Muhammad
The course cost is:
1. Administrators only session: $50
2. Administrators session and full day event: $125.00 (includes lunch)
3. Session for all educators: $125 (includes lunch)
Course: Hours - 6.75
SCECHs- Range of .75 - 6.75*
Administrators only session: .75 SCECHs will be awarded
Administrators session and full day event: 6.75 SCECHs will be awarded
Session for all educators: 6 SCECHs will be awarded
*SCECH credit is pending approval.
Watermark Country Club
5500 Cascade Rd SE
Grand Rapids, Mi 49546
Click here for directions