Join Dr. Katie McKnight for this special year long series dedicated to Secondary Learners and their unique and diverse needs in the content focused classroom. This series will demystify the Science of Reading and what it means at the secondary level; and prepare teachers to develop a classroom environment that supports reading comprehension, evidence-based writing, and language development. This series is excellent for content focused classroom teachers, EL ToRs, Special Education teachers at the secondary level, instructional coaches, and administrators. This will be a hybrid series: Sep 26 & 27 in person at Brandywine in Monticello, Dec 5 and Feb 15 virtual, and Apr 11 in person at WVEC.
Goals for this series includes:
• Review the fundamentals of the inclusive classroom and differentiated instruction
• Explore research-based, classroom-tested strategies
• Expand their pedagogical expertise on reading and writing in the content areas
• Encounter a proven methodology to elevate students' evidence-based writing skills
• Develop the confidence to utilize the Gradual Release of Responsibility (GRR) model and encourage students to take an active role in their own learning
• Be empowered to develop strong and enthusiastic readers, writers, and thinkers
Dr. Katie McKnight
Dr. Katherine McKnight is a dynamic presenter, dedicated teacher, and award-winning author. She began her career in education over 30 years ago as a middle school and high school English and social studies teacher in the Chicago Public Schools. In addition to speaking at professional development conferences, she is a regular consultant in schools and classrooms in the United States and Internationally.
Dr. McKnight’s 15-year distinguished university career culminated in her assignment to Distinguished Professor of Research at National Louis University. She is the founder of Engaging Learners, an educational company built around her successful Literacy & Learning Center model. Her work in educational leadership, literacy, and student skill development has resulted in unprecedented academic achievement in many struggling schools.
Dr. McKnight has received several awards for her publications and teaching at the university level. She has authored 20 books that support educational strategies to engage all learners. Her titles include the best-selling The Teacher’s Big Book of Graphic Organizers, winner of the 2013 Teachers’ Choice Award, and Literacy & Learning Centers for the Big Kids, grades 4-12. In 2008 she co-authored the popular book The Second City Guide to Improv in the Classroom: Using Improvisation to Teach Skills and Boost Learning. Most recently, she founded Morning Meeting webinars during the COVID 19 pandemic as a weekly forum to bring together educators to engage in professional learning.
Dates, Times, Locations
September 26 & 27, 2023 - 9:00-300 - in person at Brandywine in Monticello
December 5, 2023 - 3:00-5:00 - virtual
February 15, 2024 - 3:00-5:00 - virtual
April 11, 2024 - 9:00-3:00 - in person at WVEC
(All times are Eastern Time)
Cost: $495/Service Center Member or $990/District not belonging to a Service Center*
This is a WVEC Title 3 Consortium Eligible Series!
*Cost of all workshops are based on membership in an Indiana Educational Service Center (ESC). Any registrants who are not members of an ESC in the state of Indiana will be required to pay the non-member fee.
**See cancellation policy below
WVEC CANCELLATION POLICY:
* Registrants who notify WVEC of their cancellation on or before the registration deadline date will not be required to pay the registration fee.
* Registrants who cancel after the registration deadline but before the workshop date or call to cancel on the day of the workshop will pay 50% of the registration fee.
* Registrants who neglect to call or notify the WVEC of their cancellation will be responsible for paying the full fee.
* On official school corporation weather-related cancellation days, registrants will not be required to pay registration fees.
Registration open through 9/25/2023 9:00 AM EST
Brandywine Conference Center
304 S. Sixth Street
Monticello, IN 47960