Introduction to Therapeutic Horticulture
a partnership of NCBG with the NC State Extension Gardener Program
with Sally Haskett, Horticultural Therapist Registered, NCBG, and Emilee Weaver, NCBG Therapeutic Horticulture Program Manager
Class Dates: August 29 - October 16, 2022 (6-week course)
The Introduction to Therapeutic Horticulture course is the first in a series of online courses that teach the theory, practice, and profession of Therapeutic Horticulture.
This six-week course is the first course in the Online Certificate in Therapeutic Horticulture series that teaches the theory, practice, and profession of Therapeutic Horticulture. Students will gain an overview of historical uses and theoretical foundations for the use of plants and nature for wellness. How therapeutic horticulture supports human needs, including physical, social, emotional, cognitive, and spiritual needs, will be explored. A discussion of the profession of therapeutic horticulture, related practices, and ways to pursue further study will conclude the teachings. Students will have the opportunity to research, discuss, and reflect on the people/plant relationship, and will be provided with references and resources for further study.
This course provides a foundation for allied health professionals, other practitioners working with people, and interested individuals to learn about this unique therapeutic treatment method. The broad range of populations and locations that have been served will be discussed, with specific examples from therapeutic horticulture programs in North Carolina.
Upon completion of this course, you will?receive a certificate of participation that provides evidence of your successful completion of this course.
This course was developed in partnership with NC State Cooperative Extension. Registration is offered through NC State using the link below.
- Early Bird Fee (through August 15, 2022): $349
- Regular Fee: $359
- Volunteer, Member & Extension Professional Discount: $329
- For members of the NCBG or JCRA, contact email@example.com for code.
- For extension Master Gardener volunteers (regardless of location), JCRA or NCBG volunteers, or extension professionals. Your Extension Agent can provide you with the discount code. To obtain the discount code, have them send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from their work email account to request the discount code.
Payment Plan Option:
- Available upon registration for this course, with $200 due at the time of enrollment and the remaining balance due 14 days before the course begins.